Dr. Yuen Kwok Yung, a highly respected doctor during the previous SARS period gave the following advice in a speech yesterday.
1. He suggests we should try to avoid going to China during this period of time.
2. If going on a flight, make sure you wear a mask.
3. Always have antiseptic cleanser or towel readily available.
4. The virus “Coronavirus” is similar type of virus like the previous SARS or MERS. This time it is OC43. There is still no known method of tackling this virus.
5. If you have to go to the market, make sure you wear a mask. Be very vigilant.
6. Health Authority announced that this virus is very serious. （香港衛生署發佈，這個新病毒非常強） However, as the virus is found to be able to enter your body if your throat or throat mucous is dry, （而且這種病毒被發現如果你的喉嚨很乾，或者喉嚨黏膜很乾，就會較容易進入體內） the one precaution they suggest which can be taken is to ensure your throat or throat mucous is always in a moist condition. （所以保持喉嚨濕潤，是預防的一個方法）In fact, they suggest not to allow your throat to become dry, as in 10 minutes of being dry, the virus will find ways to enter into your body. （只要你的喉嚨乾涸超過10分鐘，這個病毒就會找到入口，入侵身體）So do not refrain from drinking water, always have a bottle handy. （所以千萬記得要喝水）
For adults, they suggest drinking 50-80cc of warm water; for children 30-50cc. Just drink if you feel your throat is dry. Do not hesitate.（每當口渴，不要猶豫，馬上喝水，大人每口喝50-80cc，小孩每口喝30-50cc） However drinking more than the amount recommended is not necessary, as it will just want to pass through your system. The idea is to “Keep your Throat Constantly Moist”
7. Before end of March, try not to enter crowded places, MTR or public Transport, and wear a mask if necessary.
8. Avoid eating too much deep fried food and take plenty of Vitamen C.
9. Control Centre advice on symptoms of this virus: (病徵)
- fast and high fever, hard to lower, but if successful, the fever will return very soon.
- next stage is coughing, in long duration, people affected are mainly children.
- Adults has mainly throat symptoms, together with headaches and physical discomforts.
- the virus is “highly” contagious.
- elderly and young children are most susceptible, so take super precaution.
I am afraid this is the best I know how in translating for my dear friends and family’s benefits. Good health to everyone.